[at-l] Wildcats Return To Adirondaks

On 2/24/2004 9:19 AM, Jim Bullard wrote:

> Pete O'Shea, retired NYC policeman, amateur naturalist and author of
> "The Great South Woods" insists that there are lions in Western
> Adirondack forests based on the evidence he has seen.

"My feeling is that in the Adirondacks, they were never quite
extirpated," Mr. O'Shea said over lunch at the Lumberjack Inn here, as
snow swirled outside. "Of any place they could have survived, it's here."

The NYS DEC lists them as "Extirpated"
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/endspec/eacofs.html

Beautiful animal http://staffweb.lib.jmu.edu/users/bolgiace/ECF/halfbody.jpg

Steve