[at-l] Heel Spurs/plantar fascitis

Jan,

	I had plantar fascitis a while back. My symptoms were mostly that the
tendon running through my arch would seem to draw up during the night
or even in shorter periods if sitting with my feet dangling. When I
first tried to walk I would waddle for the first 100 feet until that
area got stretched out again. I went to a (I call them) bone Dr.. He
told me what the problem was before he even examined me. He sent me to
the local sports therapist center a few times per week. After a month
I quit going and just did the excersises at home. Occasionally I have
some slight symptoms and I just do the excersises again and it goes away.
	At the therapy center they examined me. Exam consisted of
observations as I stood or did different stretches and a little poking
and prodding. They said the problem was that my calf muscles were way
over developed in relation to the shin muscles. So when I relaxed, the
bigger muscle overpowered the smaller and drew up more I reckon. I
knew nothing of stretching and warming up (never played or cared for
the regular ball sports and never learned about this stuff) . Two
other things contributed to my problem. I was purposely gazzeling. To
produce more speed and distance each step I pushed off extra far with
my toes each step. I wore the toes off a pair of mid weight leather
boots! I blame Leki's for some of the problem. Although I do not plan
to stop using them. Using the Leki's for balance relieved the work of
all the little muscles that are normally used for balance. So they did
not develop.
	Three excersises fixed me up. Two of them involved standing on one
leg (this develops the little balance muscles) and either throwing the
heavy weighted ball at the ball bouncer back trampoline thingy or
pulling on this light bungy cord hooked to the wall. Just enough to
really work them little balance muscles. These excersises were
performed facing the bungee and then at 45* angels and 90* or
sideways.  The other excersises was to stand pigeon toed (this
isolates certain muscles) and raise yourself to your toes. Often I did
this with my toes on a 2" high platform so that when my heels were
down they were  below my toes.
	Sounds like mine wasn't as bad as yours. Mine didn't really hurt
except when starting out. Recently I went back to same DR. and he sent
me back to same center. This time I was having some occasional
stabbing back pains. Like when I went to get up out of a chair... yeow
I got gun shy and would get up real slow. I was so worried that
several thousand miles of backpacking had worn something out in my
lower back. Luckily everyone said nope, the backpacking was very good
for me and keep it up!
	The problem this time was that my hips were rotated slightly so that
one leg was shorter than the other, which cause a crooked spine. They
said this was quite common and repaired quickly. After about a month
of strengthening the opposite muscles everything straightened out :-)
So I joined a gym to do a little mild strengthening all over. I think
perhaps Leki came into play with this problem too. For years i have
noticed that I push off more with my right arm and Leki. I use the
Leki's all the time, up hill, down hill, and on the level. I figure my
arms may as well be doing something. When i get real tired I kind of
slightly hunker over on the right side and push along and the left
does a lot less work. I think this strengthened me crooked.
	Well that was kind of long winded but that is what happened to me
best I can recall and spell it. Perhaps it will help someone avoid the
same problems.

chase