[at-l] Cursing mouses...

Felix wrote:

>I'm using a laptop with XP...and, sometimes the cursor just goes (seemingly)
>where it wants. I can't figure out if it moves TO a specific spot (i.e., item)
>or not. It doesn't always end up the same place (location on the screen). Any
>tips as to what I'd click or check to make it not do that, if possible???

Hi, Felix,

When folks at my company are having trouble with this, my first question
to them is: does the laptop you're using have a touchpad (square surface
thing you drag your along within to position the mouse) or does it have
an intellipointer (little rubbery nubbin between the keys you use like a
mini joystick)?

If it has a touchpad, you may be unconsciously brushing your thumb along
it as you type (and moving the mouse as a result).  I see this come up
among my users perhaps once a month or so.  Takes a while to train
oneself to keep fingers away from the touchpad while typing.  If its an
intellipointer or clearly unrelated to the touchpad, it might be time to
dig out the warranty on that unit (failing all other recourses mentioned
by others already).

Hop
(who loves using parentheses)