[at-l] A winter trip to Katahdin in Feb 2004

>"...I got cold just reading this," reports Coosa.

Many thanks for posting this. It brings back fond memories. Yeah, I know the
human mind has a strange way of selecting what it remembers. This is the most
accurate account of a winter trip I've read, mostly because it's written in the
first person. Most such stories are filtered through reporters and feature
writers, who tend to get details wrong.

 I made the trip to Chimney Pond in winter a dozen times -- not always with the
 intention of summiting. Sometimes we just explored and climbed the ice fields
 in and around the great basin.

 But I managed to reach the tableland a half dozen times, and the summit once in
 February. I'd love to go back someday.

  Weary