[at-l] Need some advice on Walking sticks

All the commercial hiking sticks have sharp points that some of us believe cause
serious trail erosion. For that reason and to save money I use a slim alder
stick cut in an alder swamp, and dried. I attach a soft rubber crutch tip to the
bottom and a $12 Komperdell cork knob to the top -- complete with leather strap
and built in compass.

 The latter is attached by drilling a shallow hole in the top of the stick,
 fastening a 1/4-20 hex head screw with apoxy glue. The pole with attachments
 weighs about 10 ounces and doubles as a monopod for my camera.

 I used my first such walking stick between 1991 and 2001. It weighs 9 ounces
 and remains as strong as ever but it has so many fond memories that I retired
 it and made a second version, which after two years remains as good as ever.

 The total weight depends on the size of the pole one cuts. Mine are about four
 feet long and between 3/4" and 1" in diameter. I have experimented with sticks
 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter. They work perfectly okay for hiking and I believe are
 stronger than the commercial hiking sticks I see being used on the trail.

 I choose a slightly heavier version because I do a lot of scouting for new
 trails, and my 10 ounce hiking stick serves to knock off dead pine and spruce
 tree branches. I just whack away and the branches break off.

 I use only one hiking pole because I like to keep one hand free. Most hikers
 these days prefer two poles. Two it is argued relieves pressure on the knees.
 But I sense using two poles encourages faster walking and judging from the
 email discussions results in more frequent falls.

 But that is only speculation on my part. My single hiking pole seems to keep me
 upright. I fell only twice during my 2,000 mile walk in 1993, and only once or
 twice -- never seriously -- in the years since.

 Some claim a disadvantage of a wooden pole is that the length does not adjust
 as the terrain gets steeper. I do not find that a problem. Being a natural
 product, my alder poles have numerous natural hand grips and I can easily carve
 as many as I wish. These serve for those occasions when a different length is
 useful. Since the terrain is constantly changing, I find this more useful than
 having to stop periodically to adjust a manufactured commercial pole.

 Weary