[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 14

Brian Duchesne wrote:

>QUICK QUESTION FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE.  I AM LOOKING TO PUT TOGETHER
>A GOOD & PREPARED FIRST AIDE KIT, BUT AT THE SAME TIME I WANT TO KEEP IT
>LIGHT.
>
>I PLAN ON USING MY "NRS" DRY BAG AS A CARRYING CASE, SO I KNOW THAT
>IT WILL REMAIN DRY, BUT WHAT DO YA'LL HAVE FOR STUFFING?

Brian -
We use a 1 quart ziploc for our First Aid kit.  It holds everything we need
(for 2 people) and we've never had a problem with "wet."

So what's in it?  I can tell you what "we" carry - I'll give you the list
and some explanation.  But what "you" carry could be a lot different
depending on what your particular fears and experience are.  I've know some
who've carried only a couple bandaids.  And others who carried a 5# monster
of a First Aid kit.  And one couple who carried a full pharmacy (he was a
pharmacist).  <G>

But - back to what "we" carried - this was our list for the PCT -----
sewing kit, Neosporin, bandaids, 3 4x4 Telfa pads, 3 bunion pads, rubber
band, hydrocortisone,
pills (15 allergy, 8 Pepto Bismol, 2 Tylenol Cold, 3 Vicodin, vitamins,
Advil, Tylenol, Lomotil), 1 oz tube Vaseline, 1 oz Nalgene w/ liquid soap, 1
oz Nalgene w/ after sun moisturizer, 2 oz sunscreen, 2 oz 100% Deet, Potable
Aqua,  New Skin - bottle, 1 roll adhesive tape, 1 roll Moleskin, 1 pr
folding scissors, 1 roll gauze

The Neosporin and hydrocortisone were single use foil packs.  The liquid
soap was NOT for the pot - it was for poison ivy/poison oak.  The after sun
moisturizer was for chafing - the kind we use has lidocaine as one of the
components and heals most chafing overnight.  It's also good for sunburn -
which is sometimes a problem on the southern part of the AT.  Especially the
ears.  Which is why the sunscreen is in there.  After the first month the
sunscreen is usually not necessary.  The Deet came in a mail drop someplace
in VA - and in fact, was used just twice on the AT.  Between the two of us,
we've never used an entire bottle of Deet on any long trail.  The Potable
Aqua is one of the few "backups" we carry.  On one trip we actually needed
it - all of it - and ran out before we got to town.  The rest is our
"blister" kit.

Some people carry duct tape (or "duck" tape) as some call it).   But it
doesn't work for me.

How much Advil/Tylenol you carry is an individual choice.  We know how much
we use, so we plan what goes with us out of each town stop.  We don't carry
even extra pills if we don't have to.  One trick that we use is to take some
pain killer before going to sleep.  It helps you to sleep better. If it's
been a really rough day, we take some while we're setting up camp and then
another dose before sleeping.  If it's been a REALLY rough day, then take 2
Advil and one Tylenol.  Has the same effect as a Percocet without the side
effects.

One additional item is a bandanna - a LARGE bandanna.  And we HAVE used it
more than once - for First Aid purposes.

Hmm - finally - the Pepto Bismol tablets - are for upset stomach.  They'll
also plug your piping.  And as an extra added benefit, they'll kill Giardia.
  I haven't found many people who believe that - but it works for us.  YMMV

Walk softly,
Jim