[at-l] Follow Through On Global Warming (OT)

         Al Gore took out another full-page NY Times advertisement today on
global warming. I had to post on it because it contradicts what one poster was
asserting about historic CO2 levels. Scientists recently took 2 mile-deep ice
core samples in Antarctica and studied the tiny air bubbles encased in the ice
to determine what the atmosphere was like in the past. The ice-trapped air
showed several fluctuations in CO2 levels and temperature over the last 400,000
years. These ups and downs correlated to 4 ice-ages.

           The graph printed in the advertisement showed that CO2 levels
corresponded directly to increases in world temperatures. At least in this 400,000
year sample, there was no period with high CO2 levels accompanied by low
temperatures. The advertisement indicated that earth is currently at the highest
level ever, within that 400,000 year history, of CO2. If fossil fuel burning
continues at expected rates, Gore says that we will double the atmospheric CO2
level by the year 2050, and may even quadruple it further on.

          Gore states that there is now no argument amongst scientists that
most of the world's glaciers are currently melting. Glacier Park will lose all
its glaciers in the next few decades. Mount Kilimanjaro should lose its
glaciers within 15 years.

          I personally find it interesting that some people post quickly when
there is a record cold snap, but do so without commenting about a record
european heat wave that killed 15,000 people last summer...