[at-l] More about Digital Photos

Howdy, Lwop,

IMHO, you probably won't want to print thousands of photos.  That's the beauty of digital.. You only print the good ones and you delete the bad ones.  What you probably want to do is this:  When you get home, get yourself a good photo editing program  (Photshop is the best and very expensive, but there are some other good ones out there, like Adobe Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro--some even come with your camera), then sort thru the photos, save the ones that are really good as a copy--but as a .tif file --copy them onto a cd for the grandkids, then copy again as jpeg and send those to get printed.

Don't print every photo you have. You might as well still be using film. I know that The Camera Shop can print photos of any size.  Local camera shops will as well, including Walmart, All from the cd of selected jpegs that you bring them.   And if you educate yourself about resolution and color management, you can tell them at the shop exactly how you expect your photos to look. (may not work at Walmart)

The reason for the .tif file conversion is that a .tif file can be opened and closed endlessly without any reorganization of the pixels.  not so with jpeg.

As far as deleting pictures from the card, I always delete mine after I have copied them from my removeable drive (card reader) to the hard drive or cd.  I delete them right on the removable drive.  I sometimes format my picture cards, but not always and with no agenda or program.  just whenever.  I also will delete photos if my compact flash cards are all full and I need to take that photo of the sunset or whatever.  It does use battery life, but if you can shoot without the lcd on, that saves batteries as well.  Which is possible with both of the cameras that I use.

I use the Olympus E-20N for my business--it is a digital SLR--all manual, if I choose to use it that way, which I do.  For hiking, I use the Olympus C-5050Z, because it is compact and it doesn't use proprietary batteries and it uses the xD, Compact Flash, Smart Media or Microdrive.  If I need to, I can use any AA around, even borrow some batteries, or cards, if I have to get that last shot atop of Katahdin...  I have too many compact flash cards to mention, including 1gb microdrive and quite a few 256 and above. With the 5 megapixels, at SHQ or .tif or RAW, the cards are filled quickly. Before the FlashTrax, I had to buy cards when I filled up the ones that I had... An major expense in Wales or Copenhagen, as I found out.

The reason that I prefer the FlashTrax over any other hard drive is that you can view the photos on the FlashTrax, which is a bit larger than the camera lcd.  For my photo business, that is what I chose to use.  It is cheaper than a laptop. And, like I mentioned earlier, you can copy the files off of the compact flash, then onto other media, such as the secure digital for the palm...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :o)

Good luck on your hike!  Hope you get things figured out.  I'm sure you will.  That's the fun part about this whole thru-hiking business, I think.

:o) Takes Way Too Many Pictures, but Sells Them, So What the Heck--Welsh Nomad