[at-l] Digital Photos

Ken makes a couple of good points that I want to expand upon. I am by no
means aprofessional photographer, but I used to sell the high end stuff
($20,000 Digital Cameras, etc.)

1)	UNLESS you are planning on publishing to National Geographic, you don't
need a 6 megapixel camera (or bigger) on a hike. Cameras with only 4 or even
2 megapixels are quite adequate for normal 5x7 photos. For example, the
Canon Elph S110 is a 2.1 megapixel digital camera with an all metal body and
is still very lightweight. I have printed 8 x 10 pictures from this camera
that were perfectly adequate for framing, BUT, they were not "photo
quality".

2)	At maximum resolution with JPEG settings at highest quality, I can
usually get 225 to 250 pictures on a 256 MB card, the equivalent of 8 rolls
of film, for a lot less weight. As was already pointed out, the price of
htese cards is about half of what it used to be. I carry two of them and
have never filled even one of them in a week, depite taking far more
pictures than I would have taken with film.

3)	Reformatting...a card that is formatted by a Canon camera and is readable
in a computer reader WILL NOT be readable in (for instance) an HP camera,
and vice versa. Ken is right, assume nothing, reformat the card IN THE
CAMERA before using it or risk losing some great pictures.

Lee I Joe

Once I knew where I was going, but now I have  forgotten.  Sometimes my mind
wanders.  Sometimes it goes alone, and other times it takes me along...this
isn't one of those times...