[at-l] Some delayed trip reports...

I've been a bad person. Taking some local hikes,
forgetting my camera and not posting any reports about
it. :-(

Here is my attempt to correct this situation!

The previous weekend, did a local hike in Green Mtn on
a great winter day. Fresh coating of snow,  crisp air,
nary a cloud in the sky. "Boiler plate" weather for
Colorado in winter. I really, really, really wish I
had my camera last weekend. Simply incredible view of
Longs (a 14er) all covered with snow! Waaah!

This past weekend of course was Valentine's Day. Being
the incurable romantic I am, did the most romantic
thing a guy can do on this day...run a 25k trail race.
:-) What could be more romantic than waking up at 6 in
the morning, meeting people at a parking lot on a cold
Feb. day  and running through snow, ice, mud and
puddles?

To make a long story short, did the race. Did not do
as well as I hoped..my left leg cramped up 50 minutes
into the second lap. Ack!  No matter..I finshed (if 10
minutes slower than I had hoped for) on a glorious
winter day. Three of us did the 25k and three did the
12.5k.  Beth played the ever critical role of "moral
support, cheering and picture taking". She even lied
and said she did not mind the big, sweaty, smelly,
salt encrusted hug from me at the end. Though she did
insist on me changing into a clean t-shirt and did
"fabreeze" down my running clothes :-)

After the race, drove back to Boulder and ate a LARGE
breakfast.

Sunday did a two hour hike in the Sanitas area to try
work out the sore muscles a bit. The snow had melted
quite a bit and the trails were muddy! It was a
pleasant stroll..and much needed to make my stiff
muscles a bit unstiff.

Afterards, we also stopped by REI and picked up a pack
for Beth. Many thanks for all the pack suggestions. We
went with the RISING STAR (a great suggestion from
Dee!). Fits like a glove for a small framed person.
The sales person at REI was very helpful..but I had to
surpress any comments from me when she said a 3000CI
pack is good for 2-3 days of backpacking, but anything
else and you need a bigger pack. :-)

This weekend, some honest-to-goodness winter
backpacking. Yeah!

Pics from the race at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cowint04?&page=7

Mags

(..and yes, I actually did something nice on Saturday
besides running around in the woods. :D)

=====
--Thoreau