From: "LWOP" <Lwop@att.net>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 11:02 PM
Subject: [at-l] Going for a Walk

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line and thank everyone for helping me keep the AT
fires burning. I have been a member of the AT-L on and off for years and
have benefited from many of the postings. I guess you can call this a pre
goodbye goodbye. I will put the AT-L on hold in a few days as I pack my
backpack and get ready to depart for Springer Mountain. I hope to rejoin
the list after I climb that big rock in Maine.

I'm not new to backpacking and the AT is like an old friend. I have hiked
most of it and much of it more than once. But most of my life I've wanted
to do all of it from start to finish. And that time (God willing) is about
to arrive. I will be heading North from Springer on the morning of Feb
28th. Many of you know the excitement I am currently experiencing. Six
months to be on the granddaddy of all trails. Wow!

It is nice to read and hear stories from other long distance hikers and to
be able to correspond with others who actually understand me. Folks here
in town don't understand the joy of having an armpit stink contest. They
don't see the fun in sleeping packed like sardines with twenty people who
haven't showered in a week. They certainly don't understand how walking
all day in rain and fog can be a beautiful and rewarding experience. And
God forbid, NO toilets? Cell phones? Gun? They have no clue.

Anyway, I hope to meet some of you on the trail. I will be posting a
journal at www.trailjournals.com/Lwop and will do my best to provide a
laugh or two. Drop in and drop me a line now and then. Until next time,

Happy trails.

Lwop