[at-l] Grey water

On 2/11/2004 8:50 AM, Jim Bullard wrote:

> If you are building a new house this is fairly easy to do but it can be
> a major project in an existing house especially in a Northern climate.
> You need to install a separate drain line through the cellar wall below
> the frost level for your area. If you have a cellar like mine with 30"
> thick mortared stone (make that boulder) walls it is not an easy
> do-it-yourself project.

In an existing house you can keep it fairly simple by running the
discharge hose from your washing machine out of the house into a 55 gal
plastic barrel (or two).  Doesn't collect all of your grey water but a
good portion of it.  Here in PA you can do this for 3+ seasons.
We also run the downspouts into barrels for watering the garden.  If the
barrels have open tops you should cover them with screening to prevent
mosquitos from laying eggs.

Steve