[at-l] felix's e-mail re making a diff - oh, and some picsfrom our wild ...

At 08:25 PM 2/9/2004 -0800, Casey Jaymes wrote:
>Are several small water heaters like this really more economical than one
>large water heater? Doesn't usually work that way...
>
>Casey

The traditional tank heater heats large volumes of water and keeps it hot
so it will be ready when you want it. A demand heater runs the water
through a coiled tube around a heating element and heats the water only
when the tap is turned on. There are sensors that turn off the heater when
the flow of water in the pipe stops so you are paying to keep large volumes
of water all night or while you are away at work all day.

A demand heater is more expensive initially because it is a more
complicated device (flow sensors, etc.) but they are less costly to operate
and are likely to last longer than a traditional tank if you have hard
water because by not keeping the water constantly hot they don't accumulate
mineral deposits as quickly. They come in individual tap size (about the
size of a portable CD player) and in larger multiple tap sizes. The larger
ones are about the size of a small day pack (see it's hiking related).

There are ways to make your traditional tank more efficient: add to the
tank insulation with a tank wrap kit, insulate your hot water pipes between
the tank and the tap and add a timer to the tank circuit that shuts it off
during periods you won't be using the hot water for several hours. One of
the simplest is to turn the tank thermostat down to 105? if it is set higher.

Saunterer