[at-l] felix's e-mail re making a diff - oh, and some pics from our wild ...

At 02:25 PM 2/8/2004 -0500, TrailR@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/7/2004 7:11:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, icw@esisnet.com
>writes:
>...clip...if you are jsut washing your hands, or
>getting a cup of water, and the handle is not all the way over to
>"cold," then you are major wasting energy by using some hot water!  So,
>if you have some of these devices in your house, one idea is to replace
>them with the old two-handle variety, so that when you only need cold
>water, you only get cold water.
>***************
>
>Good idea, BUT..
>And this IS trail related. After not having much hot water for over 6 months,
>  I use it
>every chance I get. Lots of it. I'm not being a smart ass (for once), but hot
>water
>was one of the top 5 items I missed while on the trail. Every place you go
>near the
>trail, they have all the hot water faucets disconnected. I HATE THAT!
>Especially
>when you are cold, wet & dirty (as we were most of 2003), and craving hot
>water
>to wash you hands & warm you up. Should be a law that you can only turn the
>hot
>water off on sinks that are not near hiking trails. ;-)
>
>Russ (still craving warmth)

I find that when I am feeling chilled, I can warm up my whole body simply
by putting my hands under the warm water tap. Consequently in winter I
always wash my hands in warm water. But this brings me to a question... We
had the trip report on the ccccold hike a short time back. Have any of you
ever tried carrying those chemical hand warmer packets
<http://www.campingsurvival.com/dishanwarpac.html> that they sell in
hunting supply places as insurance for nights that are colder than
expected? And yes, I know that they are disposable, thus probably the
opposite of how this thread started.