[at-l] re: jobs, life and such

Wow..I go on-line to check for a recipe Iam  receiving
via e-mail, and I find a mini-roast. Another reason  I
don't check e-mail on weekends, usually. This reminded
me in spades.

--- rcli4@comcast.net wrote:
>>> I really don't understand this line of reasoning.
> Why not find an occupation that you enjoy and do
> that.  I work every day and when I was young I
> earned a paycheck.  Overtime I figured out what I
> wanted to do and went and done that.

Clyde,

I enjoy my job...

I like it....

But I'd rather let the friends I have, my family, the
times I have after work, etc. define my life. Not my
job.. If you want your job to define my life (Why
yes...I am a sheet metalist, that is who I am! End of
story.) Then so be it.

But, I'd like to think my late-grandfather thought of
himself more as a person who worked in his gardern,
enjoyed his grandchildren, and loved Sunday dinner
with his family rather than say "Why yes..my life is
defined by the construction work I am doing 40 hrs a
week".

> for that little bit of time to live my life.  If you
> work 45 years you have only enjoyed your life a

I agree. THat is why I take time off when I can to do
long hikes...and why I turned down a job making double
I am making now because the current job offers 4 weeks
paid vacation in a laid back work-environment.

> hiked days that were not fun.  My good days at work
> are better than a bad day of hiking.

What is defined as a BAD day of hiking?

> your life thank God you live in a country where you
> can change it.

I do like my life? Who said anything differerent? :-)

I just choose to think of myself as a friend, son,
brother, boyfriend, hiker, runner, good cook (if I do
say so), etc.  Working in the IT field is how I pay my
bills. But when people ask "What do you do for a
living", I say "Oh.I hike, run, cook, read," To pay
the bills ? "I work in a cool place that I enjoy".

But again, for me, though I really do enjoy my job,
I'd hate to let it define my life.

Mags

ps. Thank God I am in America? Naaah..I thank my
great-grandparents. :-)

=====
--Thoreau