[at-l] re: jobs, life and such

A while back I told about an evening course I once took in Life & Career
Choices. I worked for the Dept of Labor at the time and it was primarily
about career counseling with emphasis on matching personalities with work
they would enjoy. One of the things I learned was that statistically only
30% of the available jobs match 70% the personalities of the people in this
country and of course the remaining 70% of the available jobs match the
other 30% of the personalities. That means if the maximum number of people
are in the right job for them 40% are stuck with what they could get. In
reality the number of mismatches is more in the neighborhood of 60-75%
(some claim as high as 90%) depending on the job opportunities in the area
you live. That higher percentage of mismatch comes in part from some of the
complicating factors that Kelly mentions and also in part from poor choices
that people make that they are then stuck with. I.E. What an occupation is
really like versus what a teen planning his/her life thought it would be
like. It can be tough finding yourself in a job that pays enough to cover
your college loans but that you find is not as 'fulfilling' as you thought
it would be and realize that you can't afford to quit. Say what you want
but it happens all the time.

All I ever wanted to do was be an artist and  photographer. I thought I
would subsidize my work with teaching but graduated in the "teacher crunch"
of 1971. There were 1200 art grads in NY that year and 2 openings listed
for art teachers at the college placement office. I spent the next 3 years
plus raking leaves next to a guy with a Masters in English each Spring,
painting houses/doing carpentry/teaching 2 week summer art classes in
Summer and running the cider press in a cider mill each fall while I
hammered every school district around for a teaching job. Finally after
taking every civil service test I qualified for the DOL called me for a job
as an Unemployment Insurance Claims Examiner. I hated and despised the job
but it meant that I could pay the bills and feed my family so I did it.
Could I have gone into business for myself? Yes, but frankly all
photographers I knew then and have known since are either married to
someone who brings in the majority of the income or they have a full time
job doing something else and run the photo business on the side. It's easy
to say that this is a free country and you can do anything you want but if
you aren't either rich or lucky enough to enjoy work where the
opportunities exist, it ain't always that simple.