[at-l] (no subject)

I've noticed that some of the conversations here becomes rancorous; sometimes
to the point of name-calling, etc.  On my past experiences on the AT I was
always accompanied by a friend so almost all of my conversation was with that
person.  We enjoyed each other's company prior to the trail so we didn't have
problems getting along once we were on the trail.  My question is this.  If I
hike by myself and try to socialize with folks, how often will the conversations
be like the unpleasant ones on this list from time to time?  I have seen
references a couple times earlier where people said something to the effect of,
"Don't get caught up in someone else's battles."  How much of a problem is that
on the AT when you hike by yourself?