[at-l] jobs, and life, and such

At 09:08 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, Dave Hicks wrote:
>Early in my life I had a boss, who turned down a great promotion -- to the
>bewilderment of most of the rest of us in the organization.
>
>Why?  Because the new job would not leave him the time to do the things he
>wanted to do.  He said something like:
>
>I work to fund my life.  Earlier, I did not have the money I needed.  So,
>working the extra hours was no big deal, as I didn't have the money to spent
>my time profitably.  Now, I have thing just about in balance.  Why should I
>disrupt that balance by pursuing more money at the expense of the time to
>spend it profitably on my life, as I want it.
>
>I didn't get the point at the time.  However, luckily I did before it was
>too late.
>
>BTW -- what I was pursuing was quite different than his goals, or the goals
>of some others I have know who have structured their life along the same
>plan.  Be your life goal anything from high adventure to raising a family,
>it take money and time.  One at the expense of the other defeats the goal.
>
>Chainsaw

Great advice. I've done that myself (turned down offers that didn't fit my
vision of what I wanted my life to be). The funny thing is that my life
still didn't end up as planned. "Life is what happens when you are planning
other things." John Lennon

Saunterer, whose life has turned out okay in the end even if it wasn't what
he planned.