[at-l] Pack question for female hikers

Looks like there is a strong possibility that I will
be backpacking in Escalante in March.
(One of my favorite places in the world! Check out
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsutah
for all the pics!)

This trip will esp. be nice because I will be
backpacking as opposed to the extended day hikes with
a base camp I have done in the past.

In any case, will be accompanying Beth on her first
backpacking trip. Had to make some promises (No..we
will not be hiking 25 miles days...yes we will bring a
tent and not use a tarp. Yes, I will cook more than
Lipton's rice and Stovetop... :D).

My question is, any good pack suggestions from people
who have been there and done that? For what it is
worth, it is for a person  on the petite side.
Probably need a pack for someone with narrow
shoulders/hips.

 Suggestions should probably be more of the mainstream
side (i.e. something I can easily pickup and look at
EMS,REI, etc.) so can get a good fit and try something
on before going into the field. Like to keep it
smallish (3000 CI or so..) as well.

Though I have hiked a fair bit over the years..can't
say I know too much about pack fitting from some
perspectives :-)

Thanks!

=====
--Thoreau