[at-l] Re: Older Hikers-Extended Trips

I'm 67, do at least a 9 day backpack every summer. Did the 221 mile John Muir
Trail 2 years ago, did 400 miles on Camino de Santiago in 2001.  Pack weight
is extremely important to me.  It is not fun any more if I am carrying much
over 40 pounds.  Now when I do an 8 day trip solo, I start with about 34 pounds.
 I normally hike with my wife so starting weight is then a little less due to
shared fuel, stove, etc. I also use two walking sticks due to old knees (I
take glucosamine as well). I will paste in my 8 day solo gear list:

One person 8 day Sierra backpack with food and water
Item                             Pounds     Ounces  Total Weight in Pounds
Weight Running Total Pounds
food 1 person 8 days    8                          8.0
         8.0
full 48 oz water bottle 3          5                 3.3
             11.3
bear container Garcia   2          11              2.7
         14.0
sleeping bag                 2         3                 2.2
                 16.2
full 33 oz fuel container1         13                1.8
             18.0
Golite Tarp Cave           1           7                1.4
             19.4
PUR pump                1          3                 1.2
             20.6
pack GVPGear G4                  15              0.9
         21.6
2 pots & lids, cups
 titanium, 2 spoons                  15              0.9
               22.5
stove msr                                 14.5         0.9
             23.4
Golite Coal jacket                   12              0.8
             24.2
rain jacket                             11             0.7
             24.8
long sleeve shirt                   10               0.6
               25.5
tyvek ground cloth                   9               0.6
             26.0
umbrella                                   9                 0.6
                     26.6
pad                                          9               0.6
                     27.2
Toilet paper                                 8               0.5
                     27.7
wind jacket                                8                 0.5
                     28.2
sun block                                7.75           0.5
             28.6
fleece pants                                7.5              0.5
                     29.1
33 oz fuel container               7.25           0.5
         29.6
wind pants golite                   6                0.4
             29.9
tent stakes golite                  6                0.4
             30.3
empty 48 oz water bottle        5.5         0.3
       30.7
2 pair outer socks                   5               0.3
             31.0
rain pants                               4.5           0.3
             31.3
medical tape                           4                 0.3
                   31.5
2 pair undershorts                   4               0.3
             31.8
bandages,dental, etc            3.5         0.2
       32.0
matches                                    3            0.2
                   32.2
ointments                                2.5           0.2
             32.3
film 3 rolls                                 2.5           0.2
                 32.5
50 ft nylon cord                    2.5         0.2
           32.6
fleece cap                              2.5              0.2
                 32.8
plastic bucket                      2.5              0.2
             32.9
towel                                      2.5         0.2
             33.1
Deet                                             2.25          0.1
                         33.2
PeptoBismol                          2               0.1
             33.4
nylon cord                               2               0.1
                 33.5
moleskin                                 2               0.1
                 33.6
2 sets camera batteries         1.5              0.1
         33.7
compass                              1.5           0.1
         33.8
toothpaste                               1.25          0.1
             33.9
ibupropin                                1.25          0.1
             34.0
Asprin                                     1                 0.1
                     34.0
flashlight led                         1                 0.1
                 34.1
garbage bag                        1                 0.1
             34.1
netting                                    1                 0.1
                     34.2
map                                          1               0.1
                     34.3
Note that the above includes one full fuel container, one empty and one full
water container, one empty, to show weight of empty containers
P.S. just noticed I left the camera off - a lightweight Nikon - but still
about a pound

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill:
     Tales and Tips From Seasoned Women Backpackers