[at-l] Yahoo using "Web Beacons"

Anklebear said on Thursday, February 05, 2004 @ 1:43 PM:
> What I object to about using spybots and the like is that they erase my
home page, so I have to completely reset it.  Is there some way to avoid
that?

If you are not seeing a popup message warning you about this before it
happens, then you should either update your browser or find a different one.
I do not have a list of which browsers have that feature, but I know current
versions of IE 6.0 will do that.

Updated browsers should also warn you before trying to install browser
"enhancements" and advertising garbage from companies like GAIN and Gator.

And she added:
> Also, there are lots of sites where you can't get onto them unless you
have your cookies activated.  That sounds baaaad.

Actually, nearly all commercial sites use cookies. They are not in
themselves bad, but they can be abused by unscrupulous people.
Unfortunately, if you have your browser disabled for cookies or set to
prompt you each time you visit a site with cookies, you are missing out on
many features designed to make you visit easier and more useful.

Then she signs off saying:

> <G>  I never know how to deal with such things.  I'm better at hiking.

Speaking as a "Web professional" and a hiker, I feel the same way!

-jns

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
- Steven Wright