[at-l] Older Hikers-Extended Trips

The best advice I think I can give to hikers is lighten up and get yourself on sticks (hiking poles). I started the AT with a pack that was a third of my body weight, and it was simply too much for me. Sans Souci got me on sticks, but it was still an incredible struggle. Over the next two years I eliminated lots of stuff, made a few purchases, and got my pack weight down to under one fifth of my body weight. That included the big stuff--pack, bag, pad, and tent--that weigh in at 9#. I know there are people who go lighter, but those are the choices I have made, and I am comfortable with them.

Give Me Chocolate

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Hikes <bobsectionhikes@hotmail.com>
Sent: Feb 5, 2004 8:17 AM
To: DTimm65344@aol.com, HikingGrandpa@aol.com, at-l@backcountry.net
Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Older Hikers-Extended Trips

YOUR FRIEND (78 YEARS OLD) SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF THE GUYS WHO HELPED ME OFF MT.
MADISON IN JUNE OF 2002....MAYBE EVEN YOU!...HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO THANK ALL
THE GUYS WHO HELPED ME.

I GUESS I DON'T QUALIFY AS AN OLDER HIKER ONLY BEING 61...BUT I CARRY +OR-
50 POUNDS AND AM LOOKING TO GO LIGHTER...I WAS TOO EMBARASSED TO HAVE MY BAG
TUCKERIZED AFTER I SAW LOGAN'S PACK....MAYBE BY NEXT YEAR IT WILL BE
LIGHTER.

JB