[at-l] OT: Humor - with apologies to Ryan

As Jim more or less said, these strawman arguements do
not work.

The truth of the matter of why there are more taxes
are more complex. In 1904, for example, our standing
military was almost non-existent. Our military needs
were almost non-existent as well.

A better comparision is between now and let us say 65
years ago.

World War Two was truly the turning point in this
country in terms of a small government to a larger
government. Post 1939, there was a need not only for a
larger military, but also many, many, many government
institutions to manage the growing military,
regulations that needed to manage a war time economy,
and programs that helped buiid the economy to an
economic powerhouse (GI Bill comes immed to mind,
inexpensive housing and/or education)research for
atomic energy (esp the Manhattan project), etc.

Post World War Two, there was of course a military
maintained that was the largest peace time military
ever for the US (after the Korean War in any case) Let
us not forget the Marshall Plan - an economic aid
package that helped re-build post-war Europe to not
only help out these countries, but in doing so ensured
an economic prosperity for the US. (Trading partners
with a strong econony tend to buy more of your
goods!).
Then there was the space program where we not only
landed on the moon, but in a more proasic form gave us
the ability for the almost instant communication we
enjoy. The spin off benefits of government funded
research also comes to mind.

Guess what? All these changes in the last 65 years
required money. We can debate (off-list would be best)
what programs are really required. But, I am sure we
all have some programs  we benefit from 1939 on that
we could rather not do without. To say Democrats or
Republicanss are to blame for the larger amount of
taxes is not a firm arguement. Both parties had
agenedas (again a matter of opinion which was good or
bad) that needed tax money to fund.

In 1904 we had much, much, much smaller needs. I'd
hate to say the recent war waged with the 2004
equivalent of the 1904 military budget! (I am not an
economist..I do not know how 1904 dollars translates
into 2004 dollars..but I suspect the 1904 budget was a
bit smaller, even adjusted for inflation)

On the same token, can you imagine trying to do
medical research with the equivalent of a 1904
budget?

Yes, sometimes I think we have too much taxes. But, I
recongnize we live in a much different world than 100
hundred years ago. Republican or Democarat. Liberal or
Conservative. We all recongnize there are needs that
only the government can handle. What those needs are
the focus of any debate. Both parties are to "blame"
for the changes since 1904. (If indeed, there truly
any blame to begin with).

Anyway, enough from me. Just hate to see short-hand
arguements for an issue we can all agree is is much
more complex than a one paragraph joke. :-)

Mags (please send any replies directly at this
point..)

=====
--Thoreau