[at-l] Urban Trip Report

Well, I'm thrilled to be able to tell ya'll that I'll be out searching for
my new hiking boots and backpack this week, thanks to a generous birthday
gift from Solar Bear. :-)

Of course, I have been paying attention (mostly as a lurker) and I will be
taking advantage of the great gear suggestions I have read on the 3
different (and equally helpful) hiking lists to which I am subscribed (at-l,
ft-l and women hikers).  Not to mention the personalized and helpful
suggestions of SB1...

OK, now the trip report!

Like the true outdoors lovers that we are, SB1 and I decided not to wimp out
and to instead brave the rainy conditions which overtook our home in Orlando
and surrounding areas on my birthday weekend.  (Fortunately, it wasn't very
cold out, just lots of rain.)  So, we set out from our house and drove about
10 miles through cloudy skies and scattered rain showers, to do some
nighttime "hiking" and exploring at the Pleasure Island / Downtown Disney
complex.  To our surprise, even though it seemed to be raining or totally
cloudy everywhere else in all directions, it was not raining or even very
cloudy there.  In fact, we saw only a few clouds, close to the horizon, and
we could even see some bright, twinkling stars......Or, maybe it was just
some sort of "Disney magic" type of  illusion which convincingly resembled
clear skies and stars??? ;-)  Regardless, it was an enchanted evening!

And, another important trip report note --
For anyone out there who might have the desire and opportunity to enjoy an
evening of awesome sax in central Florida -- look for upcoming performances
by my new brother, Elliot Dyson.  He performs at the Pleasure Island Jazz
Company and also at Universal Studios Citywalk (in the Blues Brothers act).
He is really great (and he does special requests too).

Cheryl / Swamp Blar

p.s.  You can all look forward to some upcoming trip reports of a less urban
nature from me sometime soon, after I get my new backpack loaded up.... :-)