[at-l] PA Ruck-One big Hiker Family Weekend

The PA Ruck was indeed wonderful.

I cannot express how it makes me feel to be amongst you all. To those of you that could not make it to the PA Ruck, your absence was felt by all...and we talked about you ;)

I met more hikers from the list, their families and friends, got more lightweight tips, helped some 2004 thru-hikers, and learned some new culinary secrets. Gary-you are really something. You are beneficial to this function, and by the way...we didn't require a "public speaker" we just needed you-I know that everyone loves you. I don't know what would happen if you weren't ever able to attend. Spur and Ready--without you, the dreamers and sentimentalists would be lost. Your Earl Shaffer display was not only educational, it was powerful. Thank you for sharing that history with us. The slide show was exceptional-the PCT slides revealed 2 people in love with each other...and hiking. Jim & Ginny--your devotion and involvement in the hiker community never has to be proven. I see a legacy. Thank you for putting your faith in me to feed everyone-but it was not I alone, it was all of us together-even hikers hanging out in the kitchen. Funny, but I remember many times, not even asking for help when others in the kitchen would just take something from hands that needed to be thrown away, or moved, while talking to someone there in the kitchen, as if to read my mind for what task had to be done.  I never had to even ask for a clear-out Saturday evening before dinner, even though the kitchen was wall to wall people. It was like my family in the kitchen with me and I love that.

I don't talk about my affection towards the Trail and it's family much because I'm sort of shy and I think that I am over-affectionate, and then I read postings, like from Tricks: "Missed my buds from "Billville", and as many other of the earlier "Ruckees" Our Father "EARL". "
- and I realize that I belong.

Thanks for having me,
Marsha-
Cleveland