[at-l] Louisiana "Backyard" Hike Report

Nice report on your backyard too.  Since I was born & raised in Cairo, Illinois, at the confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio, I'm well acquainted with levee walking.  In Cairo you didn't even see the Mississippi that much--more a view of the farmers' fields in the floodplain between the levee and the river, but I still think it's lovely all the same.  There were patches of woods between the fields, and you sometimes saw rabbits nibbling on the clover on the levees.  Sunset views were great up there.  Cairo's far north enough that we could go sledding on the levee in our 1-2 times a year 3-5" snows!  Sleds were sometimes old Coca-Cola signs.  And the older kids would build a big bonfire.

Best levee sight/sound of all--the Delta Queen from the Ohio levee as she pulled in to dock with her calliope blasting out some Stephen Foster tune.

The levee was also a great site for watching submarine races when we got older.  I miss the levees!!!!!

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com