[at-l] Trip report - a cold walk in Harriman Park

Gypsy:

Thanks for the tip on Western Engineering. I think you often get what
you pay for . . . so cheapest is not always best.

I'll look at their bags.

Dwight

>>> <gypsy97@bellsouth.net> 1/27/04 3:06:49 PM >>>
Dwight, I'd recommend looking into a small company from CA called
Western
Engineering. They make a down sleeping bag that not only becomes
toasty
within seconds of getting into it, but it has such loft that it is
truly
comfortable with a good thermarest. It was expensive - I think I paid
somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$350 back in '97, but it was
worth
every penny of it. I got it just before my attempted thru hike, and
was
very thankful to Felix for insisting (actually, commanding) that I get
down 0 degree bag. On one very cold night, a fellow hiker buried both
our
water bottles in a huge pile of leaves. We were the only ones at the
shelter whose water didn't freeze overnight.

Gypsy