[at-l] Kelty Obituary

While we were debating numerous off topic items, I bet
few noticed the passing of a major hero for our sport.
This is from today's NY Times.

Bill....

***************************

GLENDALE, Calif., Jan. 15 (AP) ? Asher I. Kelty, whose
innovative design of lightweight backpacks with
external frames and waist straps became popular with
many hikers, died on Jan. 12 at his home here, his
wife, Nena, said. He was 84.

Born in Duluth, Minn., Mr. Kelty moved to Glendale as
a child. He worked for the Lockheed Overseas
Corporation in England, joined the Navy and later
worked as a carpenter in Southern California.

An avid hiker and camper in the Sierra Nevada, Mr.
Kelty, who was known as Dick, started his brand of
backpacks out of his home in 1952.

The packs contoured to hikers' bodies; others then on
the market featured heavy wooden frames and canvas
bags. Mr. Kelty's packs also had padded shoulder
straps and waist straps that shifted weight from
hikers' shoulders to their hips.

Kelty Pack is now owned by American Recreation
Products Inc. in Colorado.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Kelty is survived by a
son, Richard, of Santa Barbara, Calif.; two daughters,
Anita Nitta of Manhattan Beach, Calif., and Angie
Herman of Willits, Calif.; five grandchildren; and
three great-grandchildren.