[at-l] The PA Ruck

As defined by OB - it's now 7 sleeps until the PA Ruck.  It would appear
that we may not get the Ruck website updated before that time.  But then we
didn't have a Ruck page for the first couple Rucks anyway - so I suspect
we'll live without it.  And probably have a good weekend anyway.

So - basics .  It's gonna happen.  I don't think we could stop it now even
if we wanted to.

Marsha seems to have the kitchen under control - and I ain't gonna mess with
that (if I did, she might not feed me - and that's not really acceptable)

Since the website likely won't be available, the "schedule" (such as it is)
will run something like this:

Friday -----
2pm - 5pm     Meet and greet.  There'll be a "sign-in" sheet - so sign it.
Then "maybe" we'll know
                    who and how many of us there are.  Don't forget to give
your money to the nice
                    hostel keeper (Brad) so we can "maybe" come back again
next year.

6pm - 8pm    Supper -- only Marsha (atrailhiker at adelphia.net) can give
you details about this.  But
                   I'll bet it'll happen.  We wont be ther for it - we
(Ginny and I) won't get there until
                   later.  Don't wait up, Mom.

8pm - ???     "Maybe" slideshows - maybe not.  Depends on who shows up with
what.  At the SO
                   Ruck, Liteshoe's show was great - as were some of the
others.  There is no set
                   schedule for this.  If you want to show your slides
(especially AT slides) write your
                   name and the title of the slide show in the space
provided on the copy of the
                   schedule that'll be posted on the bulletin board next to
the kitchen.

Saturday -----
Breakfast -   You're on your own, so don't forget to bring your oatmeal
(instant, of course). Or not.

9am - 6pm    Hikers Garage Sale.  The proceeds from this years Garage Sale
will go to the Delaware
                   Water Gap Church of the Mountain Hostel.  This is another
worthy cause - and it
                   needs your help.  If you have old hiking gear that you're
willing to donate, drag it
                   along and put in the stairwell.  If you see something
there that you like, then grab it,
                   put some money in the jar and give it a good home.  I'd
say let your conscience be
                   your guide about how much money, but I think I'd rather
say - "Don't cheap
                   out on us."  Anyone who's been to the hostel knows what
kind of service they
                   provide to AT hikers.  Anyone who's gonna be hikng in the
future - just consider it
                   an advance contribution for the service you "will"
receive.  And keep in mind that
                   the "future service" will be even better than the "past
service" cause what they're
                   doing is rebuilding the hiker facility.  So give BIG.

9am - ???     Hike to Pole Steeple along the AT (back about noon).  Teh
first time we did this, Earl
                  Shaffer was at the hostel when we got back.

10am - ???   In the past we've had a stove cook-off.  If anyone's interested
- let us know and it can
                  be arranged.  (Actually, if you want one - you get to
organize it.)

11am - 1pm  LUNCH:  Soup and bread.  This is a pay-as-you-go lunch with the
proceeds going to
                  the DWG hostel fund.

1pm - 2pm   For those hardy (or foolish) souls who are willing to volunteer
to have their packs
                  lightened, this is a good time to find out what you DON'T
NEED on the Trail.  This can
                  be funny, but it is not recommended for fragile egos. The
Friar may not be there this
                  year - but we WILL find a substitute if there's a demand.

2pm - ???   Thruhiking Bull Session.  Anyone want to talk about thruhiking?
Anyone want to get
                 their questions about thruhiking answered? Or maybe just
listen to former thruhikers
                 expound on how to do it - and how NOT to do it?  Last year
Baltimore Jack led the
                 discussion - can we convince him to return?  We'll try.

6pm - 8pm  Pot Luck Supper.  You know how it wroks - everyone brings a dish
and everyone eats
                 well (and we leave lots of food for Brad (the hostel
keeper) so he can survive so we
                 can do this again next year.

8pm - ???   Slide shows - IF anyone brings them.  AT slide shows are
preferred, but we're hikers
                and we'll likely look at anything you've got (that's
hiking-related).  There is no set
                   schedule for this.  If you want to show your slides
(especially AT slides) write your
                   name and the title of the slide show in the space
provided on the copy of the
                   schedule that'll be posted on the bulletin board next to
the kitchen.

Whenever -  seems like there's nearly always a fire at the campground.  But
keep the noise down
                  so those who are tired can sleep.  OTOH - my philosophy
used to be "You can
                  sleep when you're dead."  But you don't have to subscribe
to that.

Sunday ------
7am - 9am    CLEANUP.  Grab a broom or mop (or whatever) and help cleanup
the Hostel.  If we
                   leave it dirty, we won't be as welcome next year.  As the
old saying goes -
                   "I'm not your Momma, cleanup after yourself."

Then those who are so inclined can go home and watch the Super Bowl.  Or
sleep - or whatever.

Now - for Steve Landis - will you be there?? - and can you bring the BIG
SCREEN?.  Or should we "make do" with the "little screen"?  At the first two
Rucks, we showed slides on the walls. We can always improvise again.

For Marsha - is there anything else we can do for you?

For anyone who's interested - who wants to volunteer to teach "alcohol stove
construction"?
Or maybe "pot cozy construction"?  Or whatever?

Again - for anyone who's interested - there will likely be some gear on
display.  I don't know if anyone else will show up to demo their products,
but I believe Six Moons Designs will be providing some of their gear so you
can look, touch and drool all over.

Finally - for those who want to contribute to the Delaware Water Gap Hostel,
you have several ways to do so.  you can, of course, contribute gear to the
Hikers Garage Sale.  You could also just put some money in the jar.  If
you're eating Saturday lunch, you'll be contributing automatically.
OR --- you can send a check or money order directly to the hostel at the
following address:

Church of the Mountain Building Fund
c/o Rev Karen Nickels
PO Box 336
Delaware Water Gap, PA 18327

Remember - they're doing this for YOU.  So do something for them.

Anything I've forgotten will either be put show up on the list later - or
continue to be forgotten.  And it won't matter cause we'll all have a good
weekend anyway.  <G>
Walk softly,
Jim

Find high-speed ?net deals ? comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com