[at-l] More Global Warming ahead

No I'm refering to an April 2003 study:

"To answer that question, researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics (CfA) - right in the heart of New England's bad weather - took
a look at how things have changed in the past 1,000 years. They looked at
studies of changes in glaciers, corals, stalagmites, and fossils. They
checked investigations of cores drilled out of ice caps and sediments lying
on the bottom of lakes, rivers, and seas. They examined research on pollen,
tree rings, tree lines, and junk left over from old cultures and colonies.
Their conclusion: We are not living either in the warmest years of the past
millennium nor in a time with the most extreme weather.

"Does this mean that the present global warming is more a product of natural
changes than of carbon dioxide emissions and other industrial
regurgitations? Soon won't go that far. But he does say "there's
increasingly strong evidence that previous research conclusions, including
those of the United Nations and the United States government concerning 20th
century warming, may have been biased by underestimation of natural climate
variations. The bottom line is that if these variations are indeed proven
true, then, yes, natural climate fluctuations could be a dominant factor in
the recent warming. [The year 1998 was the warmest year on record, followed
by 2002, then 2001.] In other words, natural factors could be more important
than previously assumed."

"CfA's Sallie Baliunas, a co-author of the study, refers to the medieval
Viking sagas as examples of unusual warming around 1003 A.D. "The Vikings
established colonies in Greenland at the beginning of the second millennium,
but they died out several hundred years later when the climate turned
colder," she notes. "And good evidence exists that vineyards flourished in
Scotland and England during the medieval warmth."

The evidence also shows that the warmer and colder times occurred not just
in Europe, but in places all over the world. Entered into computer
simulations that can send us backward and forward hundreds of years in a
matter of days, the new information should make forecasts and hindcasts of
climate much more accurate"

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/04.24/01-weather.html

and if you don't think swimming against the enviro-lobby current has
consequences then read this:

"Six editors recently resigned from the journal Climate Research because of
this issue. Their crime: publishing the article "Proxy Climatic and
Environmental Changes of the Past 1,000 Years," by W. Soon and S. Baliunas
of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Without passing judgment on this particular paper, I can still point out
that our journals are full of poor papers. If editors were dismissed every
time they published one, they would all be out of work within a month or
two. What made the Soon and Baliunas situation different is that their paper
attracted enormous attention. And that's because it threw doubt on the
hockey stick."

"If you don't know what the hockey stick is, do a Google search, including
the word "climate." You'll learn that it is the nickname for a remarkable
graph that has become a poster child for the environmental movement..."

"There was a minor scientific glitch. The hockey stick contradicted previous
work that had concluded that there had been a "medieval warm period." In
fact, it disagreed with a plot published by the IPCC itself a decade earlier
(in its 1990 report) that showed pronounced warm temperatures from the years
1000 to 1400."

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_muller121703.asp

 Samuel Adams advised, "Let us contemplate our forefathers, and posterity,
and resolve to maintain the rights bequeathed to us from the former, for the
sake of the latter."