[at-l] camp shoes

For the first few months on my thru in '97 I used bicycle covers for my
feet. These are waterproof & windproof stretch rubber-like material with a
zipper that goes up the back from heel. Since they normally are used while
wearing bike shoes there was plenty of room to wear thick socks inside
them while at the shelter, I made a habit of keeping one pair of socks
relatively clean for shelter use & sleeping.

Did they work? Absolutely. They have a thin sole so they are likely
similar to aqua socks and I was stepping gingerly around the shelter. Big
advantage? I had warm dry feet while others were walking in mud with their
boots, or, if wearing open sandals, skirting the wet spot in front of the
shelter by carefully navigating to the margins.

Once the weather warmed up, I was just past Roan Mt. I sent them home,
more to save them for other hikes than for their lack of utility.
--RockDancer