[at-l] More Global Warming ahead

--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> wisperlight wrote:
> > i thought global warming ment higher overall tempurature
with
> greater swings from cold to hot. so colder colds and much
hotter hots.
### Correct.
http://www.gfdl.gov/~gth/web_page/article/aree_page3.html

But then JimO impunes:
> No.  There are some pseudo-scientific folks who claim that any
deviation from "normal" weather is proof of global warming.  And
that "[c]older colds and hotter hots" are direct evidence of
global warming. Fortunately or otherwise, the "colder colds and
hotter hots" that we've been experiencing rank as nothing more
than "weather" and rarely even set new record highs or lows.
### You watch different news than than the rest of the world,
Jim. Like the July 4th rainfall that blew out the back of my
house, setting an all time *month* record in a 3 day period, or
the 2-3 "Hundred Year" storms that hit New England shores a
couple of years ago (in a one *month* period) taking out my
parent's porch on the first shot (a porch at least as old as me
-- got the photos! I was short then.)...

> In fact, real "classical" global warming theory says that the
> weather would moderate, with the largest increase in temps
occurring at night and in the colder (arctic) regions.
### I don't know what "classical" theory to which you're
referring, but that ain't what I was taught a quarter century
ago.

### But then after questioning the observations, JimO curiously
quotes Hawking regarding scientific method, and then predicts
his own behavior.
> (At least that is what is supposed to happen.  In practice,
people often question the accuracy of the observations and the
reliability and moral character of those making the
observations.)
>           From ?The Universe in a Nutshell? by Stephen Hawking

Well dang it:
In the last two months, you've proposed:
1) Use of hiking poles is inefficient (physiologic energy
budget).
2) You can't walk and think at the same time (mental energy
budget).
3) "Global Warming" is a farce (global solar energy budget).

I can help you with this budgeting thing, JimO.
Really. I can. Here: watch this:
1) Borrow my heart rate monitor at the Ruck and do a repeated
time trial with poles and without. When your heart rate doesn't
increase with use of the poles, retire Hypothesis 1.
2) Whilst walking the time trials (on the WITHPOLES or
WITHOUTPOLES run), consider the semi-closed system with constant
solar input and increasing (wet/dry adiabatic) internal
reflectance of the now infrared thermal energy. When you can
draw up an energy budget that does no violation to
thermodynamics, you've dun some thinkin', and can retire
Hypothesis 2.
3) Before you return to the hostel, turn and note the condition
of the sky: cloudy? or clear? Which would be the warmer night to
sleep out in? If you conclude "cloudy", then you can retire
Hypothesis 3, relying on your own lifetime of observations, made
without fear or embarrassment every night.

No charge, man.
(Unless you want to make payment in Guinness...)
sloetoe
(who turns to go back to work, evaluating billions of Indiana
dollars worth of investment in equipment to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions, knowing it's mirrored all over the USA/CSA, even
furthered in a Republican President's "Clear Skies" proposal...,
knowing the utilities fight the distribution of the burden, but
not the science.... Hoo-boy.)

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.