[at-l] Yankees (Getting way O.T.)

        Being exposed to this OT message I had some thoughts to add.

       If you think about it, the federals could have made a deal with the
south to stay united and they wouldn't press abolition. If that happened
thousands of lives would have been saved and a deep scar in America would have been
prevented. The cost would have been the further suffering of the slaves for a
prolonged period. Eventually world progress in civil rights and racism would
have ended slavery anyway. Good if you were a soldier, bad if you were African.

         Let's not fool ourselves that the Civil War wasn't based on the
usual reasons ($). The south had an agrarian, cotton based economy and the north a
textile, manufacturing one. There's no doubt that time proved the two were
best left as one whole...

          I often fantasize what kind of AT corridor we could have had if
they got busy in the 1860's putting an AT Project together...