[at-l] cohos vs. long trail

I am also interested in the Cohos Trail, but I think I'll give it a few more years to "mature", so to speak.  Here's a discussion of it which includes both good and bad reviews.  Read it all, it's good to get all the info you can get.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1014&highlight=cohos

>From what I have read, it looks like this trail is the brainchild of one visionary who has been pushing for some years to make it real.  Reminds me of the IAT in that respect.  But there are plenty of access, camping and landowner issues, particular in the Connecticut Lakes area in the north corner of the state. A big parcel up there was purchased by a conservation organization last year (Nature Conservancy I seem to recall, but maybe it was the Trust for Public Land), so that area may become more hiker friendly by-and-by.  Although to be honest, this area is more hunting and fishing oriented than hiking.

As for the LT, it's plenty mature and I'd like to do it before it becomes too popular (like some trails I know).  I did the southern 100 miles in 2001 while on the AT, and I'm told the northern part (north of Maine Junction where the AT turns east) is tougher and more remote. Bring it on!  I may do it this August if my schedule pans out.  Can't wait.

Pb