[at-l] Yankees (Getting way O.T.)

Quoting "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net>:

> >"...This is a very common misconception..." (that the Civil War was caused
> by
> >northern concerns over slavery.)
>
> I don't pretend to have any special insights or knowledge, but I believe the
> south fired the first shots, and I understand the south was mostly concerned
> with preserving slavery, and tried to leave the union in an effort to
> continue
> slavery.
>
> The north clearly did not go to war to abolish slavery, but to preserve the
> union -- though the logic of that escapes me, given the general belief in
> our
> declaration of independence.
>
> When Lincoln belatedly freed the slaves in the rebellious states, there were
> draft riots in New York City. Few wanted to fight for what they believed to
> be
> frivolous reasons. Scores of blacks were lynched and tortured to death.

The war OR secession would have happened with or without Lincoln. He tried to
do what he thought was best for all...preserve the union. And, some of
those 'all', if not most, were slaves. Anybody who thinks that the South's
primary reason for seceeding was anything other than slavery is kidding
themselves...and, anybody who thinks any form of slavery is just...is worse
than kidding themselves.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98