[at-l] PA Ruck Dessert Bake-Off

OK, here are the final categories for the PA Ruck Bake-off.  The categories
are set, the contest is a work in progress.

Best in Show - Presentation before eating
Best in Show - AT Related
Best Cake (cheesecake IS allowed)
Best Pie - The hardest category
Best Cookie/Brownie (combined)
Best Store bought
Best Chocolate
Best Unidentifiable

Here are the semi-conclusive rules:

You may enter as many times as you wish for each category.  But only one
entry per category (you may not enter a chocolate cheesecake in both the
cheesecake AND chocolate categories).  Cheesecake + Boston Creams go into
cake category

As people arrive at the hostel, either Fri-1/30 or Sat-1/31, when you pay
the day-use fee there will be a Sign up sheet for your dessert entry, if you
so wish.  There will also be slips of paper to enter your name to be
selected as a judge.  Place your slip of paper in the jar at the front door.
Sometime before dinner is served on Saturday 1/31/04 (4ish?) the judges will
be selected from the jar.  Depending on how many categories we have I would
probably want at least two judges per category.  The Judges will judge ONLY
their respective category, as there are usually way too many desserts for
one person to eat.  That's not to say that you can't partake of ALL the
sweets once the judging is over.  Once the Judges have tallied their votes
in their respective category the prizes (as yet to be determined) will be
announced after everyone has had dessert.  I don't know the schedule for
that evening yet, so I don't want to conflict with any planned slideshows or
workshops/discussions.  The results will also probably be posted on or near
the kitchen door.

If you are bringing a dessert for the Saturday Night Pot Luck and wish to
have it entered in the Bake-Off please sign in at the Hostel Caretaker's
desk.  Please label your dessert, on the bottom, with your name and what it
is. There will be stickers for this located in the kitchen.

If you just want to sign up to be a judge, please fill out your name on the
slip of paper and place it in the jar (also located at the Hostel caretakers
desk.  Judges will be selected and informed by a drawing.

Also give us a break, if this doesn't run smoothly, we are just trying to
have a little fun and be spontaneous.  Your help in running this would be
greatly appreciated.  If you have any further questions you may email either
Gary  <mailto:groberts@npr.org> groberts@npr.org or Marsha
<mailto:ATrailHiker@adelphia.net> ATrailHiker@adelphia.net  or wait to see
us at the Ruck.