[at-l] Yankees (Getting way O.T.)

> While it is true that the issue was States Rights Vs the Union of the
> United States (or the Unified Federal Government) it was the issue of
> Slavery that brought that dispute to the fore.  It wasn't manufacturing,
or
> Farm subsidies, or Automobiles registration, or Marriage Laws, or ever the
> varying sexual laws that are on the books of so many states.  No, it was
> the Slavery Issue and it was the contention of the Federal Government that
> slaves should be emancipated.

This is a very common misconception, but I've already gone beyond where I
wanted to go with this.  I really recommend _The Real Lincoln_ by Charles
Minor for further reading.

Mr. Lincoln himself, in his memorable letter to Horace Greeley, stated, "My
paramount object is to save the Union, and not either to save or destroy
slavery."

> It was also the contention of the Federal government that no state could
> secede fro the Union because it would weaken the Union and cause chaos.
It
> was inevitable that the Federal Government would get stronger and the
> States would be subservient.

Britain made that same claim when the colonies declared independence.  In
both instances the cause was for empire on one side and for independence on
the other.

And now I'm going to quit with this...

We can take it off list if desired.

Shane