[at-l] Graduating from School: How Will you Use Your Educationonthe Trail?

Quoting Shelly Hale <shellydhale@earthlink.net>:

> I suppose that we should also endeavor to list the things that we learn on
> the trail that can't be taught in a classroom.
>
> What are these life lessons for you?

The most important lesson is perhaps that you don't REALLY need the education
taught IN a classroom to be happy. Or, the things that that education will
make possible. I didn't attain a 'higher education' back when I was supposed
to because (and, I think this was pretty smart thinkin' for a kid my age...) I
didn't want to be anything badly enuff to spend that kind of time and money on
becoming. I had the brains to become either a doctor or a lawyer...I didn't
have the desire. Had I gone to all the skewling, and spent all the money to
become a doctor...I'd be a 41 year old doctor thinking "What the hell am I
doing?" Instead, I'm a 41 year old landscaper, doing something I thoroughly
enjoy, thinking "Hmmm, what am I gonna do next...". It reminds me of something
Ted Nugent once said (a borrowed sentiment, I believe) "I didn't have time for
college. I was too busy learnin' stuff."

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98