[at-l] RE: Holmes, Cold Weather and Life - Perspectives.

No flames, just some thoughts from Shel.

Here is just one epipheny that came upon me not so long ago, which has in
turn led me back to hiking and, generally, living.

When we have children, we do not die.  Living life should not be over just
because we have become parents.  As parents, we should strive to live more.
We should pass on our love of life to our progeny.  (Father AND Mother
alike.)

After I had my youngest daughter, I centered my whole life around my kids.
Literally.  I didn't make time for myself at all.  I didn't make time for my
husband.  Over the course of the past few years, I have become more and more
unhappy with life in general.  I have tried many things to figure out what
was wrong with me.  However, I just couldn't find what it was that was
missing.

There was one day in particular in which I was just so completely
out-of-sorts.  I was mad at my husband (for something that was probably just
completely stupid...that is, if I could even remember what that had been)
and screaming at my kids.  Suddenly, I couldn't breath.  I just had to get
out of the house.  I stepped out on the back deck took a deep breath...and
found...myself.

I realized that ever since I was a kid, whenever I was troubled, I sought
the outdoors.  Houses & buildings were just too confining.  There was
nothing as soothing as the caress of the wind across my cheek and through my
hair.  It was then that I realized I needed to make time for myself.  What
better way to do that than to hike again?

As a loving and responsible parent, I will do the right thing and make sure
that I have plans for the care of my girls before I go.  I plan for the most
extreme, death.  If such were to happen, I want my will, insurance, last
wishes, and anything else prepared before I go.

But, if the last lesson that I ever teach my girls is to live life to the
fullest every day, then what a profound message (legacy even) to leave them
with.

Shelly Hale