[at-l] Graduating from School: How Will you Use Your Educationonthe Trail?

I already have two degrees and am thinking about
getting a third, and I still don't know exactly what I
want to be when I grow up! :)

Whatever I do in life, it seems I can't get away from
using bits and pieces of my high school, college, and
grad school educations (not to mention the
"educations" I got as a secretary, a social services
worker, a kitchen employee, etc.). During the
"formative" college years, my education experience
really molded me, the same way the AT molded me,
working at Yellowstone molded me, reading Emerson
molded me and seeing "The Marriage of Figaro" molded
me.

Geez, I'm a regular ball of silly putty. Can ya tell I
went to a liberal arts college?

It seems like a weird question to ask if one uses
their education on the trail. For me, the trail gave
its own kind of (very valuable) education--not the
other way around.

When my husband left Colgate to hike the AT for 6
months, one of the requirements for him to keep his
job was to write a report showing how the lessons he
learned on the trail could be applied to
manufacturing. And he did ...

That being said, I did appreciate the massage
therapists and physical therapists who were willing to
give free services to their fellow hikers! And it was
cool to hike with a geologist in Maine and a fellow
English Lit grad through Pennsylvania. So you can say
that they used their educations to help or enlighten
others, even though they didn't necessarily get paid
for it.

Waterfall