From: "Jim Bullard" <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com>
To: <camojack@comcast.net>; "at-List" <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Yankees (O.T.)

At 08:48 AM 1/19/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Seems like pretty childish behavior for someone purported to be so very
>educated, doesn't it?

We're all childish at times. People who act their age, education and social
level 100% of the time are *boring* people.

>It doesn't really get "under my skin"; I just think it's wrong, and I feel
>free to say so.

You are falling victim to a common email problem, judging a writers intent
by *your interpretation* of his words because you can't see his/her facial
expression and body language. Were I to judge you by the same standard I
would have to reply that despite your protestation, it does "get under your
skin" but I shall take your word for it that it doesn't and suggest that
you accept OB's assurances in the same spirit.

As for it's being just plain "wrong" (i.e. derogatory) to call someone a
Yankee, I must disagree. Many folks in the New England are quite proud of
their Yankee heritage. As a life-long Northerner I have been called a
Yankee many times and never took offense even though New Yorkers are not
true Yankees. My ancestors however, did come from Massachusetts and NH so I
guess I am a Yankee descendent.

>But hasn't all this discourse been enlightening? :-)

For Me? Not particularly. I'd like to see this thread end.

Saunterer, who considers himself to be a North Country Boy come Adirondacker