[at-l] FW: First Aid course for hikers

Bill asked me to forward this answer to my question:

-----Original Message-----
From: orangebug74@yahoo.com [mailto:orangebug74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 3:54 PM
To: l_parker@cacaphony.net
Subject: First Aid course for hikers

I have largely eliminated the first aid kit as a seperate part of my
gear.

Duct tape is one of the major tools for multiple uses, blisters,
cuts, sprains and the like.

I remove zipper pulls and replace with large safety pins, diaper
pins preferred if you can find them. This allows clothing to be used
as a supports/slings for upper extremity injuries.

Treking poles, neighboring limbs and saplings and such are splints.
Clothing, closed cell mats, Thermarests, pack stays can also be used
to fix an extremity and prevent movement.

GI - water and pepto bismol tabs.

Dehydration and hypothermia - Gatorade mix, Jello powder with sugar
and the like.

Pain - Aleve, ASA and the like.

Skin care, abrasion, burns, chapping, chaffing, sunburn - one bottel
of sunscreen, one tube of diaper creme.

Emergency - photon light and whistle on a lanyard.

pencil and paper to document where a victim is and the time of
discovery to aid rescuers, assuming you can send for help with the
most anxious gofer in the group.

Purel and/or Iodine for wound care and hand cleansing.

Bandana for sponge bath every other day to remove ticks and stings.

Was that what you wanted?

Bill....

<would you send a copy to the list to get their feedback?>

Lee I Joe

Once I knew where I was going, but now I have  forgotten.  Sometimes my mind
wanders.  Sometimes it goes alone, and other times it takes me along...this
isn't one of those times...