[at-l] Yankees (O.T.)

In a message dated 1/17/04 17:49:22 Eastern Standard Time,
camojack@comcast.net writes:

> Ryan tells me that Orange Insect, the pseudo-intellectual redneck, only
> makes these "Yankee" comments in jest. I am inclined to disagree, as they are a
> frequently recurring element in his posts. What do y'all think?
> -"Camo"
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:49:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Orange Bug <orangebug74@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Mount Washington Loonies
>
> "Insanity is actually a term of legal rather than
> medical signficance. Since we are into the waning moon
> cycle, they are not loonies by definition.
>
> However, anyone willing to go outside into -100 with
> wind chill without much gear on arms heads and faces -
> and be photographed in said act - can only be
> described as freaking crazy, and most likely Yankee."

Well, there is such a thing as "Yankee Spirit."  It is what got a new nation
started in rebellion against an oppressive colonizer.  There is also the
Yankee determination to eke out a living from the rocky soil of New England.  And,
not to be too local (note I didn't say loco) there is that Baseball Team that
historically has the best record of any team in the sport and has had men rise
to superiority in the game simply because they were called a "Yankee."

So that individualistic spirit which may occlude the sense that is common to
most could be identified as "Yankee."  But then that is also the name that is
attributed to those who eat Apple Pie with a slice of Cheddar Cheese for
breakfast.  Now that should mitigate any derogatory thoughts regarding those hardy
people who live in the cold climes of this nation, hard by the coast where
Lobsters are dragged from the ocean floor and eaten with drawn butter.

If there are any who complete the AT this year -- be sure to take a few days
following to travel the Atlantic Coast of Maine and enjoy a feast of Apple Pie
and Cheddar Cheese and, of course, a good two pound Lobster.  Perhaps that
will cause an inner welling of spirit that helps you understand what it is to
approach that quality of being which many call "Yankee."

Skylander