[at-l] Re: East-West Winter Comparison

<< The thing about cold in the Northeast is that you have to factor in the
humdity. Here in Boulder, we had some temps in the single digits last week.
It was not what I would call pleasant, but throw on a down jack and a warm
hat -all is good.(Heck, even did a run.. :D) The humidity back in the
northeast makes 5F seem so much colder than 5F here.  I *HATED* winters back
in Rhode Island. That humid cold goes right to the bones.  >>

The cold air masses this and last week were from the north-interior of
Canada and actually very dry.  With temps at around zero, the dew points
were at times in the range of 20 to 30 below zero. When the actual temp
reaches -30 and dew point is -30, the 100% relative humidity that you have
is extremely dry. Hence the word relative. The single digits we've had
around here lately haven't been bad at all when the wind wasn't blowing. I
think the Rhode Island and general eastern winters you refer to are more
when temps are in the 15 to 40 degree range and you have a moist flow coming
from the south, south-west, and/or east (off the water - high humidity) with
some wind thrown in.  But I'm no meteorologist, so I could be way off
here....

wc