thinking on the trail WAS:Re: [at-l] jobs, and life, and such

I must be the oddball here (among oddballs no less.
:D). I tend to do much thinking while hiking. For me,
it is therapy and meditation at 2-3 MPH.  Knotty
problems are solved, new insights given, things I
haven't thought about in a while (or chose not to) are
forced to be though about.

Sure, I don't have DEEP THOUGHTS all day. But I'd be
lying if I did not think about things on the trail at
some point. This fact is true while out for a day
hike, a weekend, or a thru-hike.

I'll also add that I tend to hike more solo than most,
even by thru-hiker standards. Suspect you can get more
thinking done (if you so choose) if you are not hiking
with a partner.

As a side note, maybe I more geared for "meditation on
the fly" because I notice the same action happening on
long runs. Perhaps intense and long physical activity
just lets me think better.

Afterall, it is a Latin phrase that states: "Solvitur
ambulando". (It is solved by walking).

YMMV.

=====
--Thoreau