[at-l] RE: Jobs, and life and such

At 03:21 PM 1/15/2004 +0000, gadog430@charter.net wrote:
>This is and has always been true. If you do what you love and what you
>have a passion for you will end up happy and successful most of the time
>because it is what you LOVE and have a PASSION for.

The problem comes in when there is a conflict between what you love doing
and where you enjoy being. Most books of advice on finding the 'perfect'
job assume that is your highest priority and will go where there are
opportunities to do that work. My son took a job in CA doing the work he
loves but is now eager to get back to the East coast to be near family (he
isn't crazy about CA either) doing whatever he must to be where he wants to
be. I made that same choice 30+ years ago. It helps to decide what's really
important to you before going for that 'perfect' job. For some folks the
best they can do under the circumstances dictated by their highest priority
is more realistic.

There is another disconnect that hasn't been mentioned. About 20 years ago
when I was experiencing some angst over the choice I had made I was
re-exploring options to decide if I should make a change. In that process I
was looking at the types of work that best suit different personalities.
One of the things I learned was the 70% of the jobs match only 30% of the
personalities in the US (and vice versa) so that the availability of work
that matches your personality may not be there. Perhaps the most realistic
route to 'happiness' is as Abraham Lincoln observed "Most people are as
happy as they decide to be".

Saunterer