[at-l] Finding employment after a thru

Actually the most significant change is the job market. During the tech
boom there were jobs aplenty and the universities and tech schools couldn't
churn out techies fast enough. In the "downturn" lots of techies found
themselves out of work. Although the broad economic indicators are
generally positive the job market hasn't rebounded. I.E. Economic
forecasters had predicted that there would be 150,000 new jobs created in
December 2003. There were only 1000. Unemployment went down primarily
because so many people gave up looking. The techies that lost their jobs
(or left them to do a thru) are having to compete with new grads that have
fresher skills and lower expectations. To top it off most employers take
adim view of gaps in your employment history. Never mind whether that's
"fair" or "rational" or "right". It's a fact and you have to deal with it.

There are jobs out there but you might have to be willing to go absolutely
anywhere to get them and in the tech fields, which do change significantly
in a matter of months, you might have to do something about updating your
skills. At this point I go into my old DOL mode.

TrailR, find out where in your area is the Dept of Labor/Employment
Commission State/County career resources center. This is an initiative that
was begun 6-8 years ago to consolidate state and local employment/training
programs under one roof. It should be pretty much on track in most areas by
now. Under the newest legislation training funds are available even without
showing that you meet any economic guidelines. Go there and ask for help
setting up a plan to update your skills and there's a chance (if the money
for the fiscal year isn't already committed) that they can help pay for it.
Don't get discouraged. I know. That's easier said than done but make a plan
and keep plugging away.

Employment counselor spiel is now over. Apologies to anyone who was
bothered by it.