[at-l] Re: Listers from NC

<Gypsy,
<Are you the Gypsy (Marty) that we know from the <famous "Tale of Friar
Tuck"?

That's me alright.  Has anyone heard from or seen the Friar lately.  He gave
me one of the biggest laughs of my life, and I still chuck when I think of
it.

Gypsy

GoVolsKelly@aol.com  Wed Jan 14 10:03:36 2004
> [...]
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 28
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:24:11 -0800 (PST)
> From: Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] I have have a question about the long trail.
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com, jeanpaul@comcast.net
> Cc: AT-L@backcountry.net
>
> --- GoVolsKelly@aol.com wrote:
> > Me wants that book.  Where can I get it?  Amazon?
> ### Green Mtn Club website (see below), but .... it's not up to
> date or complete. You'll likely get better information from the
> shelter registers, if you need it at all.
>
> The Long Trail Guide is useless (contains telling passages like
> "Trail leaves highway 234 and goes over ridge, coming to highway
> 428 in 14 miles, or so.") But you have to buy the Guide to get
> the maps at the end. (The best map for planning purposes is the
> 8.5x11" showing the whole trail superimposed on road crossings
> and nearby towns.)
>
> http://www.greenmountainclub.org/maps.asp
> This site has a great set of links, but the best by far, and a
> real ontrail-usefull thing to print off and carry, are the
> online topos found at the HIKEVERMONT link. Great stuff. When
> you get there, go for the "older" version, and enjoy these
> highly useful maps AND highly useful profiles.
> http://www.vermont-st.com/longtrail/maps/noframe/17linc.html
>
> Between the Long Trail Guide maps and the site immediately
> above, you've got the best of what's out there.
> SLY/LITESHOE this is the simple info I failed to get you. Seemed
> so easy to whip off this morning..... sorry.
>
> kharmatoe
>

> > jeanpaul@comcast.net writes:
> > there is a neato 3 or 4 dolalr book the GMXC puts out called
> > "Long Trail end-to-ender's guide". which is similar to the
> data book.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 29
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:26:41 EST
> From: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com, TrailR@aol.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> Wow, that sounded bitchy... I didn't mean for it to be bitchy.  I'm not
> bitchy.
>
> Love,
> CARBCOUNTINBITCHYGoVols
> __________________
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:17:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> GoVolsKelly@aol.com writes:
> Alright, carbs no carbs WHATEVER!  All I know is that when I eat food that
> SAYS it is low in carbs, I lose weight.  I am NOT going to argue about
this
> stupid sh@@ anymore.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 30
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:30:41 -0800
> From: "Kelly Whitman" <kellyswhitman@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> Anorexia and amphetamines result in weight loss success, too... LOL.
Silly.
> [...]
> >nothing
> >good in war. Except its ending.
> >
> >Abraham Lincoln
> >"The Savage Curtain"

> Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN.
> http://wine.msn.com/
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 46
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:22:03 -0500
> From: Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com>
> Subject: [at-l] Re: Long Trail
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Cc: AT-L@backcountry.net
>
> > Jan,
> > Tell me about the LT.  How long did it take?  Did you go alone?  When
did you hike it, etc.
> > GoVols (PS, how's your Daddy?)
>
> A number of AT-Lers have hiked this trail too, so cast a wide net of
> inquiry.
>
> The Long Trail took this slow, novice long-distance hiker just under a
> month, but that included travel time and taping up my new car's rear
> window after vandals smashed it while I was hiking.
>
> I most decidedly did NOT go alone, the irascible, unregenerate Clyde
> Dodge from Florida also went. He was a pretty good bodyguard and,
> unlike my new car, I emerged from the wilds unscathed.
>
> The first 100 miles or so are reasonably easy (easy being a relative
> term for the unfit) and it co-joins the Appalachian Trail for that
> length of time. The next 170 miles kick butt, but are gorgeous and
> remote.
>
> The whole journal, resupply points, hostels, is on trailjournals. Just
> hit the link below, and when the AT journal comes up, hit the button
> on the left marked "Long Trail."
> For an "alternate" view, Clyde's journal is on there too. A different
> take, I'd say. Look for MAFMan, '02.
>
> I've spent the winter shaping that journal into a book, called "The
> Ordinary Adventurer". Clyde is claiming he'll be famous. I'm not so
> sure of that (any more than he already is, anyway). But it was a
> project I wanted to do. The book was delivered to the editor last week
> (ink! of champagne glasses), and might be out by Trail Days (or, might
> not).
> Any marketing suggestions welcome (you authors out there).
>
> Dad is not very coherent these days, sliding, on 24-hour care, not in
> pain. Thanks for asking.
> OrdinaryShoe
>

> --
>     AT Journal:
> http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/
> Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.
> http://www.mindspring.com/~janl2/index.html

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 47
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:38:06 EST
> From: Dalemerica@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Dale's Dogs, was Re: [at-l] Who is from Florida
> To: janl2@mindspring.com
> Cc: TrailR@aol.com, at-l@backcountry.net
>
> Glad you guys enjoyed the dogs. I Hope to do it again this year. I hope my
> name is on the Ruck list, because I am bringing my old hiking buddy
Mainframe
> [...]
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:31:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> GoVolsKelly@aol.com writes:
> Wow, that sounded bitchy... I didn't mean for it to be bitchy.  I'm not
> bitchy.
>
> Love,
> CARBCOUNTINBITCHYGoVols
> All that meat can make you an animal... ;-)
>
> Smartassdog
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 51
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:34:28 EST
> From: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: TrailR@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com, at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> Grrrrrrr! Hey, I eat my fair share of salads, too!
>

> There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is
nothing
> good in war. Except its ending.
>
> Abraham Lincoln
> "The Savage Curtain"
>

> In a message dated 1/14/2004 1:33:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, TrailR
writes:
> All that meat can make you an animal... ;-)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 52
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:35:18 EST
> From: TrailR@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Finding employment after a thru
> To: kellyswhitman@hotmail.com, at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:34:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> kellyswhitman@hotmail.com writes:
> >don't
> >feel as qualified as I used to, to go back & do my old job as a Software
> >Test
> >Engineer. But I'm not qualified for anything else either.
>
> Why do you no longer feel qualified to be a software test engineer?
> Hike the trail and stay out of work for 17 months... See how much you
> remember of
> the technical side of the "real world" when you get back. I'm very rusty.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 53
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:37:20 EST
> From: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Subject: [at-l] Phobia
> To: AT-L@backcountry.net
>
> Cleithrophobia!  That's it!  I wonder if there's a word for the fear of
big
> fat giant cockroaches that fly phobia?  I have that one, too.

> There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is
nothing
> good in war. Except its ending.
>
> Abraham Lincoln
> "The Savage Curtain"
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 54
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:38:19 -0800 (PST)
> From: Paul Magnanti <pmags@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [at-l] Take that...smartwool!
> To: at-l@backcountry.net
>
> http://www.dumbasscotton.com/
>
> =====
> The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a
portion of the rainbow I have clutched
> --Thoreau
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 55
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:38:49 EST
> From: TrailR@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: Bror8588@aol.com, GoVolsKelly@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:48:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bror8588
> writes:
>
> And we would have to show our passports, if we did divide between North
and
> South, just to hike the Appalachian Trail.
> You mean I didn't need to carry it with me?
> Damn...
>
> hotdog (AT biscuit eater 03)
>
> There are no Atkins diets on the trail....
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 56
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:41:03 EST
> From: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: TrailR@aol.com, Bror8588@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> The only diet you need on the trail is eat everything in site diet.  I can
DO
> [...]
> the minds of those who fight them. Nor is just the removal of "bad guys" a
> justification. Bad guys change and die just like the rest of us.
>
>  Weary, who continues to be fascinated by the ease with which America's
>  "enemies" evolve into allies and vice versa, but who has no firm views
about
>  which wars are good or bad, though he strongly suspects that Viet Nam was
>  terribly wrong.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 59
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:55:32 EST
> From: TrailR@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Possible SORUCK hike...
> To: yugrekih@yahoo.com, at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>

> I for one, would like to hike somewhere near the Ruck this weekend.
> Pick a trail & lead on, I'll follow.
>
> hotdog
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 60
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:58:25 EST
> From: TrailR@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com, kellyswhitman@hotmail.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 1:27:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> GoVolsKelly@aol.com writes:
> I'm on a cult diet to lose weight!  LOL!
>
> Screw it.  If gets me looking hot in thong bikini, consider me a cult
member.
> At least till the end of this month.
>
> <SNIP>KellyHavingCheeseburgerHoldTheBunForLunchGoVols
> LOL!!!
>
> If it makes me look hot in a bikini thong, It would be a miracle.
>
> Russcrossdressingbikinithongdog
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 61
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:01:24 -0500
> From: Walter Daniels <wdlists@optonline.net>
> Subject: RE: [at-l] Finding employment after a thru
> To: TrailR@aol.com, ATL <at-l@backcountry.net>
>

> > In a message dated 1/14/2004 11:34:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> > kellyswhitman@hotmail.com writes:
> > >don't
> > >feel as qualified as I used to, to go back & do my old job as a
> > >Software
> > >Test
> > >Engineer. But I'm not qualified for anything else either.
> >
> > Why do you no longer feel qualified to be a software test
> > engineer? Hike the trail and stay out of work for 17
> > months... See how much you
> > remember of
> > the technical side of the "real world" when you get back. I'm
> > very rusty.
>
> Once you get back to work I think you will find you remember more than you
> think you do. I have driven to cities that I haven't been to in more than
10
> years and it is amazing how familiar it all seems when I return (except
for
> Atlantic City the first time I was there and I recognized every street
name
> (because of Monopoly) and did not have a clue where I really was.)
Sometimes
> [...]
> Maine coast (seven minute walk from the relatively warm sea water).
>
> wc

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 63
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:30:23 -0500
> From: "Jim and/or Ginny Owen" <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>
> Subject: FW: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: GoVolsKelly@aol.com
> Cc: at-l@backcountry.net
>
> Kelly wrote:
> >I'm on a cult diet to lose weight!  LOL!
> >
> >Screw it.  If gets me looking hot in thong bikini, consider me a cult
> >member. At least till the end of this month.
> >
> >Anyway, I don't think any of us are going to go overboard and kill
> >ourselves
> >the Atkins way, for the love of God.  Who the hell can live without a
> >snicker
> >bar that long?
> >
> >KellyHavingCheeseburgerHoldTheBunForLunchGoVols
>

> Kelly -
> Don't let'em bust on you --- Ginny and I have been on Atkins for just over
2
> months.  Personally - it's lowered my weight, cholesterol and blood sugar.
> It's the best thing that's happened for diabetics since insulin.
>
> On top of that - and in spite of the PC viewpoint that prevails in some
> quarters - as a human being (animal) you're evolved to be a meat eater
> (actually an omnivore) - not a vegan.  Anyone who doubts that should talk
> their dentist about tooth structure and function.
>
> And then - the low carb diet works for those who have insufficient time to
> do enough exercise.  Eat less and exercise more ils a nice mantra.  But
its
> not always realistic.
>
> Hmm - finally - for Weary - there is NO cereal product - including Raisin
> Bran and Grape Nuts- that qualifies as low carb.  If there were, I'd be
> using it.  Check the label.  That's one of the things I miss most.  Pizza
is
> #1 on my list, though.
>
> Walk softly,
> Jim

> Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN.
> http://wine.msn.com/
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 64
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:34:15 -0500
> From: Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] frozen solid
> To: PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com, at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> At 10:58 AM 1/14/2004 -0500, PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com wrote:
> >In a message dated 1/14/2004 7:24:47 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> >jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
> >

> >>That's 88? colder outside than inside
> >>with the thermostat at it's night setting.
> >

> >I surely am glad that you paid your bill, or is yours a situation in
which
> >the bill for this particular little nip will come later?  Yikes! is
right.

> >Kinnickinic
>
> I heat with oil. I still owe for the most recent delivery (2 days ago).
BTW
> [...]
> From: Bror8588@aol.com
> Subject: Re: favorite beefs..... RE: [at-l] Dieting
> To: TrailR@aol.com, GoVolsKelly@aol.com, sloetoe@yahoo.com,
> at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/04 13:38:49 Eastern Standard Time, TrailR writes:
>

> > There are no Atkins diets on the trail....
> >

> But I will guess that most will not turn down a good, huge, juicy, rare
steak
> with fat drippin' off, if they were offered some.
>
> Skylander
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 68
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:07:12 EST
> From: TrailR@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Finding employment after a thru
> To: wdlists@optonline.net, at-l@backcountry.net
>
> In a message dated 1/14/2004 2:04:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> wdlists@optonline.net writes:
> Once you get back to work I think you will find you remember more than you
> think you do.
> I think so too.  But I have to get there first.
> No interviews... No interest... No IT jobs in SC...
>
> Makes it harder. They pick people with BS, MS & current work experience
> to interview first, if jobs open up.
>
> hotdog (still trying for Home Depot, not in WALMART mode... yet...)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 69
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:09:32 -0500
> From: Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com>
> Subject: [at-l] Possible SORUCK hike..
> To: trailR@aol.com, AT-List <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>

> >lead on...
>
> Well, Dog,
> Bring your work gloves, clippers, bow saws and muscle (oh, and rain
> coat?). There's a short trail around the SoRuck camp that needs
> cleaning up.
> NipperShoe
> --
>     AT Journal:
> http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/
> Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.
> http://www.mindspring.com/~janl2/index.html

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 70
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:09:53 -0500
> From: "The Weathercarrot" <weathercarrot@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [at-l] Re: Below zero all day....
> To: jbullar1@twcny.rr.com, at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
> Cc: andrew_moores@canada.com
>
> << Ha! I beat you WC. It's -10? here. Not that there's much pleasure in
> beating you although I've experienced much worse "highs" (like -30+?). >>
>
> Most places in Northern New England would beat the coast, but I'll take
what
> I can get....
>
> wc
>
> At 02:29 PM 1/14/2004 -0500, The Weathercarrot wrote:
>
> >Just went outside to check the temp here. It's 6 below as of 2:10pm, and
it
> >looks like that'll be as warm as it gets  today, making it the coldest
> >day-time high I have ever experienced.

> High-speed users-be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium
Internet
> Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 71
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:11:11 -0500
> From: "Leslie Booher" <lbooher@pure.net>
> Subject: Re: Dale's Dogs, was Re: [at-l] Who is from Florida
> To: <TrailR@aol.com>, <janl2@mindspring.com>, <Dalemerica@aol.com>,
> <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>
> In May, my hiking partner and I came out to a road and wanted to eat lunch
in town.  We prayed for a ride, and she added, "And a hot dog."  She loves
hot dogs.  We never did get the ride, but that night at Devil's Racecourse
(dreadful, miserable place), two men came in with a whole package of ball
park hot dogs, and she got three.  Good times!

> anklebear
>
> "You don't have to know anything about the outdoors to hike the A.T.  It's
sort of idiot proof."   Emiko Fergusson