[at-l] Re: Long Trail

> Jan,
> Tell me about the LT.  How long did it take?  Did you go alone?  When did you hike it, etc.
> GoVols (PS, how's your Daddy?)

A number of AT-Lers have hiked this trail too, so cast a wide net of
inquiry.

The Long Trail took this slow, novice long-distance hiker just under a
month, but that included travel time and taping up my new car's rear
window after vandals smashed it while I was hiking.

I most decidedly did NOT go alone, the irascible, unregenerate Clyde
Dodge from Florida also went. He was a pretty good bodyguard and,
unlike my new car, I emerged from the wilds unscathed.

The first 100 miles or so are reasonably easy (easy being a relative
term for the unfit) and it co-joins the Appalachian Trail for that
length of time. The next 170 miles kick butt, but are gorgeous and
remote.

The whole journal, resupply points, hostels, is on trailjournals. Just
hit the link below, and when the AT journal comes up, hit the button
on the left marked "Long Trail."
For an "alternate" view, Clyde's journal is on there too. A different
take, I'd say. Look for MAFMan, '02.

I've spent the winter shaping that journal into a book, called "The
Ordinary Adventurer". Clyde is claiming he'll be famous. I'm not so
sure of that (any more than he already is, anyway). But it was a
project I wanted to do. The book was delivered to the editor last week
(ink! of champagne glasses), and might be out by Trail Days (or, might
not).
Any marketing suggestions welcome (you authors out there).

Dad is not very coherent these days, sliding, on 24-hour care, not in
pain. Thanks for asking.
OrdinaryShoe

--
    	AT Journal: