[at-l] Meanderings at Mills Lake..a winter trip report

Thanks Toey for the compliments. I'll add the photos
and reports as long as people are interested.
******

This past Saturday, went snow shoeing to Mills Lake in
Rocky Mtn National Park. This Lake
is situated near the popular Bear Lake, surrounded by
the looming peaks of Chiefs Head (a 13er) and
Longs (a 14er). The trip itself is a moderate one, 5
miles R/T w/ 700' elevation gain.

The day started off as typical for me: coffee and a
bagel while waiting for the people to show up.
While munching on my bagel and getting my caffiene
fix, could not help but notice how BLUE the sky
was today. Looking west to the foothills, could not
see any clouds. Good sign!

We went off to RMNP, arrived at the trailhead and made
our way up the trail. As usual for the Bear Lake
area (Even in winter), there were quite a few cars at
the trail head. The Mills Lake area is not quite
as popular as other destinations, so not as many
people on this trail.

As mentioned, the sky was clear and very sunny. Fairly
warm, too. Made our way up the trail and
admired the views of the mountains. Is it me..or do
they somehow look even more impressive
capped with snow? They somehow look larger, (and to
me) more aesthetically pleasing.

Made it to the lake and enjoyed the view of Longs and
Chiefs Head. Pulled out my handy-dandy thermos
of cocoa and a zip-lock full of homemade cookies. (If
my family can do two things it is we can
eat and cook well. I've seem to have both sets of
genes passed down to me. :-D )

Sat in the sun for a while, moved down the trail when
the shadows the mountain grew longer. Made it
down the trail and noticed the clouds turning a bit
pink with the sun starting to set.

Arrived at the car, drove back to Boulder, where we
had some yummy Indian food and cups full
of blessedly warm chai.

Off to due some more winter fun this weekend. Another
view of Longs and Chiefs Head...this time
at Sandbeach Lake.

Pics can be seen at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cowint04?&page=4

=====